Monday, January 26, 2009

191. SERGEANT EYEPATCH

SERGEANT EYEPATCH
I told the guy that the only 'details' the
Devil's ever in are the details in the military.
Pedantic soldiers on foraging missions;
pickaxe and shovel, digging latrines, building
kitchens, supporting new bivouacs with lumber
and nail. That's a detail.
-
He snickered, and pulled back his drink -
taking it down in one big lunge.
'They only detail I got is my carbine,
and this pistol here in my belt.'
-
He was trying to make me understand something.
A message, one as usually without clarity as a
command to paint the Marshall's quarters red,
or redo the local whorehouse in corduroy.
All that sort of stuff good soldiers do
between wars : killing chickens,
stabbing the new foe in the eye.
Wiping out whole villages
where the 'enemy' may live...
a Devil in some detail,
perhaps.

No comments: