Monday, January 5, 2009

157. '...THEN MAYBE WE CAN TALK...'

'...THEN MAYBE
WE CAN TALK...'
(the mark of Cain)
Magisterial presence and a remarkable bearing -
of a place on Earth, among rocks and soil and stone.
'It is a husbanding of Nature, nothing more.'
He said this to no one in particular. I wasn't
watching, though I heard. To acknowledge - in the
least way I could - I nodded a response. He
laughed and heartily replied (to nothing):
'Such nonsense, you see, is the bane of our time.
A million rabid people falling apart at the seams,
and saying 'God it was' who told them to be this way'
I sensed where he was going with that, as it all
gravitated towards a nothing - a great big hole,
a place where nothing was. 'Is the absence of presence,
oh kind sir, also the presence of absence?
If you answer me that, then maybe we can talk.'

No comments: