Tuesday, January 6, 2009

160. MAN THE MAKER

MAN THE MAKER
(I really should leave it at that)
However you figure it, a million years have passed
since the first rocks were formed. We've (since then)
chiseled hammers, broken stones, pulverized layers
of land. This round marble in my hand - basically a
child's joke, something to play with - does represent
something, no matter how foolish the representation.
Like cheap giveaways at any gaudy store, this
trinket bears the traces of Mankind's heavy work.
Ingenuity to enjoyment, in some swift fell swoop.
I notice now, thinking, as here I sit, that I've managed
to survive. My years, much diminished to those of
the marble, I figure will come to an end long long
before that marble's demise: I, turned to dust, and
it, turned to a crush. But after all, what is the ending
of anything - a quick jarring end to sudden boring
illusion; a finished frame to a portrait's intrusion.
-
I really should leave it at that.

No comments: