Friday, January 9, 2009

163. LAZARUS

LAZARUS
Once I had a nowhere enrap't in a shroud I stood alone :
there existed nothing to engage me - the long dark
of the sanded cave and its silences notwithstanding.
And even if I spoke , no one would answer.
Until that moment (shortly thereafter) when from outside -
the lighter world - I heard a voice commanding me
exit. I simply rose up and walked. And exited.
The brightness - strong at first but then evened out -
brought back a flood of memories; oddly enervating,
things I thought I'd left behind - yet here they were again.
I was forced (and not by this alone) to conclude that Life
as known was but a cycle in a memory itself; my ways of
walking, I noticed, had not left me. Nor had my motor control -
lifting an arm, putting one foot before the other, understanding
my eyes and what I was seeing. Nothing louder than thankfulness
followed me; or was it some other form of strange regret?
I really did not know. I really could not tell.

No comments: