Thursday, January 1, 2009

149. A COURSE IN JUGGLING

A COURSE IN JUGGLING
'She pays you because she has to, and she's
busy all the time - I swear she can talk for hours;
it's just a natural thing for her' - I put down my
fork and went right to work responding : 'on the
other hand you might want to consider the arrangement
with time that we all make amongst each other
just to stay in place - like some scalding cloth laid
over our face, it's very painful at the same
time (we're told) it deep-cleans the pores.'
-
'This plane flew over the houses, I swear it
was low enough that I could see the pilot's bruises.
There was someone talking pictures from the window
on the same side - all I caught was the end of a lens.'
The guy saying that seemed outraged and - as if astonished -
just kept going on about 'invasions of privacy' and how
'no one's secure anymore, even in their houses and homes.'
I noted to myself how useless redundancy really is when
the initial argument or premise is so bad. If a bomb went
off, this is the same sort of guy who'd go on endlessly
about how there was no security and 'they' weren't
doing their job. It's a comfort thing, like Jello or
pudding, to these types of people.
-
No one wants to be there when their daughter is de-flowered.
In the same way, when truth and its consequences hit you
in the face, everyone takes refuge in some modest excuse.
'Life is so short, suicide is like shooting yourself in the head
while falling to the ground without a parachute.
You'll be there soon anyway, why bother....'

No comments: