Wednesday, April 6, 2022

14,237. AMETHYST MONKEYSHINES

AMETHYST MONKEYSHINES
Whatever it was, I had to make sure
it wouldn't happen again; like opening
a cereal box with a shoehorn. 'He's back
in town!' I heard someone say. 'Not me,'
I replied, 'I'm going away.'
-
Remonstrance and new fabrication.
They were all talking about some war.
I wasn't sure which one but it sure
sounded familiar. As same as all the
others too. Leaving my dog at the
meat counter now.
-
I wasn't meant to be like this. The girl
at the coffee shack looked me over. I
was three times her age, but decided
not to say. She had a wet head, and 
was leaning on the fake fence they 
had around the wait line. Those
places always make me nervous.
-
No one playing cards; no, they
mostly stare at screens, or some
cranky Princeton marms just keep
jabbering on. I liked things the
way they used to be : I'd walk
right in and have coffee and sit
me down next to Mari Lee.

No comments: