Saturday, August 28, 2021

13,791. PROTOCOL

PROTOCOL
'Heard once you wanted to be a 
card flipper?' 'Nope, one thing I 
hate is cards. Where'd you hear
that anyway?' He got up and 
walked away. I didn't feel I'd 
lost anything, but I was still
confused. 
-
The walls in the place were 
darkened wood  -  maybe a stain, 
or maybe just tobacco and smoke.
People seemed to come and go.
Felicitous circumstances for
gambling...and gamboling too.
-
Have you ever noticed how once
people have kids they become
different? A whole other set of
concerns, and why? Not the kind
to come in here and gamble money
away. Big chance of nothing, mostly.
The only reason I was there was to
deliver some printing.
-
There was a lot of on-the-job training
in that line of work; like once in Newark, 
the company car I was driving, for NJ
Appellate, broke down at the end of
Broad Street, Newark. about where it
enters McCarter Highway. I never had
that happen before and didn't know what
to do, so I went into the corner tavern, 
to make a phone call. I'd never been in
a real 'bar' before. This end of McCarter
still had some white people, and I think
they were all there. The guy said 'Wait 
there for help,' on the phone, so I did.
-
Some lady eventually came over and
brought me a beer; she said, 'Say, honey,
what are you doing here?' I said I'd blown
my load and my tire was flat. No, not
really that. I said my car broke down
and I had to wait. She was nice, but
I was on to her too.




No comments: