Tuesday, November 29, 2016

8911. SURRENDER ME TO THE FORTRESS

SURRENDER ME 
TO THE FORTRESS
The trying station is open : a policeman
stands around for those who fail. My life
gets miserable too. But what does it avail
me to complain? I keep making things to
no acclaim. Haphazard guesses, and a 
sidelong glance at that wonderful woman
in blue. Why is she buying iceberg lettuce?
Certain things I can only wonder about.
-
It's a long story, kid. Little boys shouldn't
be so nosy, and I haven't got time to explain.
I should hang my head in shame? No, this
morning's a different temple and they have
switched now all the Gods. Everything's
been moved about. There used to be a
little guy, right over there, who sold
hot dogs from a cart; and over there,
another man gave pony rides around
an ever-dwindling circle; but one
ride would last you all day.

No comments: