Wednesday, July 17, 2013

4525. CULPEPPER

CULPEPPER
My fly in the face of the ointment,
the charnel house of all my blues : one
faction of twenty lawmen looking for gold.
Here I stand, with my six-gun in hand.
-
The deck held too many cards; that guy's
flippant hands were on everything  -  swapping
numbers, turning cards. And up his sleeve,
the Derringer I saw was held in place by
nothing but expensive gold cuff links.
-
There was a water trough out back; a few
horses whinnied, a woman in a long,
flouncy dress seemed searching for
love. I held another drink up to the sun,
and it was shot right out from my hand.

1 comment:

gary j. introne said...

Thank you, so much, Sophia. I really enjoy ther idea that you're reading them and, here, responding. Sorry for being so tardy; I just saw this now. gar