Thursday, January 12, 2012

3404. DIAMONDS

DIAMONDS
She is viewing a weather map over the land; watching
as that green blob of rain moves over the Alleghenies  -  
watching, for no reason at all, what I can sense to be
anti-climactic for sure. Her delicate diamond hands
trace a line along across the screen. To show me a
something or other. I want to mention, as her hand
passes over, that I once lived here, I once lived there;
curiously, beneath that green blob signifying rain.
Now, I don't know how I live in this world at all.
-
Once, a long time ago, I lived beneath a bridge.
The bridge ran over the Kill Van Kull; across
the way, at all hours in those dark, drear' days
ran river traffic of tankers and tugs, steamers and
scows. Everyday, there were things being towed or
salvaged, old ferries being taken to rest, bent tankers
to be washed out to sea. Above my head ran the lines
of the bridge, as everything, through the Narrows
was silently dragged out to sea.
-
I don't know how I live in this world now at all.

No comments: