Monday, January 9, 2012

3399. CANTILEVERED CAVALRY

CANTILEVERED CAVALRY
How can I make lightness from your damned and heavy
presence; crossing out words on paper, eliciting no response
at all from crowds of hundreds with ears and eyes. I look around
me, sometimes just to check that there's not some hateful yet
marvelous bird of prey about to swoop down onto my head.
I miss the heat and the warmth of early summer mornings.
I have nowhere any longer to sit in the cold  -  pre-dawn and
all its pretty lights are nothing against the frigid air. And the
brightness I'm waiting for takes way too long to arrive.
The rightness I'm waiting for takes way too long to come.
-
I'm walking the planks of an old railroad bridge.
Abandoned now, and forgotten, it goes nowhere at all.
There hasn't been a train here for decades. All the old
sheds are hollow and zero and fallen and crumbled.
High, high above my head, and high above this soft
and marshy ground as well, the New Jersey Turnpike
roars. It roars with all its stupid people passing, going
as swift as their shit will take them, past the old rocks
of Laurel Hill, now mostly gone as well, blown apart
by dynamite and road-builders intent upon destruction.
-
A long, long time ago, atop that pile of rock, there was an
asylum, a crazy house, a sanitarium  -  whatever cheating
words they use to describe such places. Nothing was left,
for years, except a very tall and skinny, brick chimney.
The old graves were moved, and the charnel house too
became merely myth  -  some nasty old Hackensack
Meadow punchline, pig-farm joke, marshland metaphor:
'The crazy dead died crazy, until they were not any more.'
-
We moved them all, and took them away,
we moved them all away. (How could we
make likeness from their damned and
heavy presence? The rightness I'm
waiting for takes way too long to come).
 

No comments: