Tuesday, July 19, 2011

3203. ME AND YOU AND 33 THINGS BEFORE BREAKFAST

ME AND YOU AND 33 THINGS
BEFORE BREAKFAST

Ripping like a slugfest with Carter Hawley down the
highway and headed to Hawkeye Mountain. You
watching out for storms and weather, with your
big dark sunglasses and funny straw hat. 'You
remind me of country glamor,' I said, meaning
only anything good. 'Well I better,' you said,
'unless you mean some brand of country butter.'
-
Everywhere around us were mountains, hills
and meadows. The lush green of the treetops
was scraping the sky. 'I must have missed the
turn for Eden,' you said, 'or at least I didn't
see the sign.' I slid my hand down onto the
seat, sat back, and stretched straight out
my legs. 'I'm not moving 'til I have to,'
I said, 'and even then I'm not.'
-
Your face right then almost had a
smile too, staring right ahead.
'You're just full of it, full of
good ideas,' you said.

No comments: