Sunday, July 3, 2011

3177. THE CAPERED CONVENTION

THE CAPERED CONVENTION
Fifteen different men went to deepest Africa,
in nineteen hundred and ten. That was all, and
that was wild. Diffused and derelict their good
intentions were, though nothing of any worth
got done. I sit me down now only to listen.
-
A small man sat down at the piano and played.
He tried steadfast alertness and an accompanying
air of serious thought. I watched him carefully
until he was done. I got up when he got up.
-
I lost my faith in God and man when I was eleven.
It has never returned - I am saddled with bitter
thoughts and anger too. That is my music; I read
the notes as a carpenter reads his plans. Scribed
lines and pencilled markings. All together, things
as one. I sit me down now only to listen.

No comments: