Tuesday, July 12, 2011

3195. THIS VILLAGE IS BURNING

THIS VILLAGE IS BURNING
'I am the Samuel Pepys of guilt, yet I care nothing
at all for your wastrel ways.' After saying that,
he turned his head and said 'Good God, boys, look
what we've done now!' At that, I did notice the
man unloading a truck was wincing and the dark-
black smoke encircled his head. Right after that,
he fell down. Yes, yes, it appeared for sure : that
mongrel dog Death and all the village was burning.
-
'You've done this of spite, you stupid, evil man!'
Someone shouted that, as glass popped and shattered
from heat. Everywhere, things were blowing about
and some form of star-crazed fiery powder seemed
settling on all the street. People screamed and oaths
flew. I had never seen death for so many.
-
I sensed the trick of a Devil in this : a fiery plummet,
the crumbling of buildings a'flame, the piling of bodies
and rubble. The stealth of destruction was suddenly
brought out to the very forefront of things. An implosion,
as of minds in confusion falling upon themselves, seemed
descended on all things. I had never seen death for so many.

No comments: