Thursday, August 26, 2010

1061. IN WHAT I REMEMBER OF ANITA O'DAY

IN WHAT I REMEMBER
OF ANITA O'DAY
All it is I remember of Anita O'Day
is some smiling ghoul of a face - one
smothered and colored as a postage
stamp would be. I think she sang,
though she never sang for me.
-
What is it we want from our wallets?
Talent and wealth in abeyance alone?
Nay; I think it's more a memory we want -
something tender enough to go home with
after the lights of the club have gone out,
after the party is over and the following
morning arrives. She is a genie in scanty
clothing, but one that I can't describe.
-
All I remember of Anita O'Day is a musical
phrase on a black and white screen; some
late night variety show, with a band - but
I'm not sure of that at all. My both hands,
much mellower now, seek something before
I die : something to smother, to fondle, to
touch or to grab. My personal and essential
wind blows through the gap both out and in.
Nothing substantial, mind you, but the
foggy air of thinking back.

No comments: