Tuesday, August 18, 2009

498. DORIMAR THE DOMINION

DORIMAR THE DOMINIAN
I covered your housepaint in pimples,
wrote notes all over your jars, and then
left that night (Tuesday last) to have
dinner with that fellow, as you said,
'from Mars'. Not really an abject gent,
he showered the table with favors - some
fifty-dollar tip and money for a bet, took an
extra drink for his 'steadfast constitution' and
then left me there while he ran out to 'rob a bank'.
These are all the things he said : he spoke funny,
in awkward ways, and blurted things out you'd
never expect. 'That peacock has a belly like an
antelope', for instance. Now what is anyone, I ask
you, supposed to make of that? I don't think he's
ever read a book. Another curious quirk of character.
Now look, I don't begrudge a man anything: the creep
with the loud awful music ruining my space, the girl
with the skirt too tight for her waist, the tall, lanky
lady wearing nothing beneath her blouse. It's
all the same to me, if that's what someone
wishes to do. I can catch what I catch
and, sometimes, enjoy the view.
Life has, after all, its very
simple pleasures,
does it not?

No comments: