Friday, August 7, 2009

489. THE TECHNIQUE OF ZEN

THE TECHNIQUE OF ZEN
'He's got some habits I frown upon.
The warrior class comes home early
and stays late - or leaves home early
and stays out late - something I now
forget. It's a winsome world truly, all
this toil and strife (and nothing I'd want
to repeat). With everyone so sold on the
good, I too wonder how evil gets done.
-
Graffiti with white paint covers the delinquent
fence - 'bury my heart on the lone prairie' -
and then the names, perversely, make
the handles : 'Solinquen' and 'Olyminiade';
whatever God-awful meanings they have.
Two wild horsemen, drunk on success?
Two frothy madmen, riding towards death?
-
We needn't agree on everything.
The pencil has lost its edge, and
we've mostly got nothing to say.
All things are won. All things
are one.'

No comments: