Monday, October 31, 2011

3304. I DROVE THE SEDAN

I DROVE THE SEDAN
I drove the sedan that went right past
your mountain house, the gulch in the
gully, the wandering curve in the road.
I saw the swans on McAfee Road, and
the pond alongside Albion Hall. It was
all I could do not to stop. Simply stalled,
like that, I would have had nothing to
show for all that went before.
-
The red on the barn, I noted, had faded;
a less-intense and fiery red, a dimmer
version of the hue, the same sort of
flame a dying ember throws, a marker
cast down on a charcoal-filled earth.
I shuddered in thinking, here again,
of all the things I might have passed.
-
And then I read your words, making
me happy and sad together - how my
words made pictures in your mind,
and how emotions were awakened
that you could recognize. I loved
those words, and tried to thank
you for them though I failed.
-
I drove the sedan that went past
your mountain house - two doors,
four wheels, and all my mounting
and trying with it. Just as I passed,
in your window was a well-lit love.


No comments: