Friday, October 28, 2011

3303. VINDICATOR I MUSED

VINDICATOR I MUSED
Do not allow the wise one to relish your
goods and ways - keep such thoughts at bay.
Enamored of everything else, he passes you by.
Fir trees along the Glimmerglass, James Fenimore
Cooper and his warrantless braves. Escaping
settlers, running through woods with muskets
and knives. Beneath a long-tarred and starry
sky, murderous yells and murder itself. I once
gazed down, from a gentle height, past trees
and shrubbery below, to the lakefront itself.
A fire beckoned, and three or four men huddled.
Whatever tongue they were speaking, I did not
understand. Yet, I knew they were ruthless
men and would kill me if they could. I was born
here, 'neath the reedy place, by the brook, beneath
the Spirit's canopy of light. Now, all things were
in jeopardy, myself included. I lived, only if they
died. I thought of a future, realizing there could
be none at all. Sweeping down, silently at first,
then with a scream, I cleanly killed
and gutted the them all.


No comments: