Sunday, September 18, 2011

3262. 1974

1974
And now I have left you I have led you I have
left you I have led you : again and again as a
marksman hits his target once after another
and more. The chickens are dead in the yard.
The old, fevered burro you left me has finally
now expired - his last strange noise still
echoing in my frightened ears. I only wonder
to myself why you first led me here and then
left. Led me left me. Oh I am so confused.
-
I have a nickel magnet I intended for you to
have; now I'll keep it for myself. It holds the
metal in my ears, keeps the singing tribes
from leaving, lets me recall those Bond Street
days when, yes, we, the two, stayed close and
together as a whip does with its snap.
-
I am empty now. I can't recall an earthly thing,
only that stuff of other natures we once together
lived. The domino castle at the top of the fjord,
the lancer who kept his famed redoubt a secret,
the woman I knew from McIver's other farm.
-
I'm watching the fire land onto the lake.
Nothing moves. I will sleep; thinking of
your picture - you, on the curb, with
no shoes, only laughter and mirth.

No comments: