Tuesday, September 6, 2011

3251. AT READING PEAK

AT READING PEAK
I may have overstayed the waiting, slicing my back too far
down the marble slab I slept upon : awaiting a deliverance,
seeking a new sky, watching those midnight heavens for the
sight of your shooting star. Had it come, oh, oh, how I would
have known. As it was, in a form of still and desperate silence,
nothing occurred at all; and I waited still, and waited more.
-
I had known the vigil, had known the wake. I'd attended
these things, and even stayed - late, past prime, far deeper
into the night than I should have. For my being, it was all
Experience, that one, with the capital E. I singed my face
looking too deeply in. I scuttled and scoured too many
things - Rumi to Tagore and back again. No, no yes. No.
-
My marvelous reaction to things : Negation, with its
capital N. The tower on Reading's hill, some soulful
minaret, a pagoda, a temple, something narrow past
working. The old gravel road, a test grounds for
Duryea cars, a quarry from a time, long, long ago.
Now, little matters, and there is no rhyme.
These are ugly years, very weathered,
and, I sense, not mine.

No comments: