Monday, August 22, 2011

3240. I SAVAGE MY HEARTBEAT

I SAVAGE MY HEARTBEAT
By desperation, by stealth, by intention,
I savage my heartbeat to live : yes, yes,
I stay on, staggering and wild, listening
to each thump beating through me. I
savage my heart to live. In one place,
where I stand, the water runs down.
-
On the face of the growing elm, where
sap leaks and gathers, some strange,
awesome moth cleaves and stays -
in one place, seemingly stuck, savage
as well drawing something from that
wound and its sap. Wings are closed,
to paper, and then opened, full width,
to some prodigious orange glory. I
watch to stay, and wish to watch.
-
My life, limitless in its own way,
lives on, propels and forces me.
I remain in place. Witness to the
playful rants of stories and tales,
all those human things we tarry
with - telling stories to ourselves,
writing lines, and designing, here
at last, civilizations of our very own.

No comments: