Tuesday, August 2, 2011

3220. PHILOCTETES DISARMED

PHILOCTETES DISARMED
Snakebit effusive charmer wild-eyed
archer seeker in the stars recalled once
more to Troy - I know all that ancient
story, written harsh in these desultory
bones, bringing up memories each
time I feel lost and far away.
-
'It isn't anything I can feel' - such
was my answer to the madd'ning
doctor who was crouched before
me. 'Instead it's as if I was eating
berries and then shitting fire,
spouting stones, spitting mire -
a general, not at all complaisant
malaise.' Not knowing at all what
I was talking about, he laughed.
-
'Oh, Philoctetes, you'll be okay.
You're just missing your home;
but forget about it, they'll never
have you back.' I never felt more
destitute or sad, as if chiseled
pebbles, like glass, rolled
around in my mouth.

No comments: