Sunday, June 26, 2011

3162. ASHBURNIPAL

ASHBURNIPAL
'Well then you come do it - smoky sky on
a broken horizon. Have I ever told you how
I feel? Legal sanction now awaits me -
I can hinder what you unreel. The last
farrago at the final moment, and all that
foolish cheering for none. Go ahead then,
see if I care. You will do what you will,
whatever and a day.'
-
'Stop your stinking sacrifices. Your smells make
me retch - your flesh and your carcasses, dead
loins and fire-burned lambs. Offerings such as
these? I'd rather have Baal's lonesome daughter.
There are no words, really, for what you are.'
-
Then I will stop saying your name. The day of the
Lord is here. The readings must stop, the lists
are pronounced, and all those names of the
already-dead, that long roll-call of prisoners,
must we sit here and listen to it once more?
Grant me dispensation, oh God, to leave
your house and fade away.

No comments: