Sunday, June 5, 2011

3126. THE SIGNIFIER HITS PAYDIRT

THE SIGNIFIER
HITS PAYDIRT
(down at tompkins square park)

Long tall Sally and the little red Corvette,
they're both sitting 'midst weeds down by
the dock : sick of everything and just
wasting away. The game is in overtime,
the crowd's beginning to trickle out, and I'm
watching movies on the infield wall.
-
Helene Krempa and some Nicole Kidman
lookalike doing gymnastics on the schooner
Mirage. High seas and misdemeanors too.
A couple of miles off shore, and, damn, you
can get away with anything at all.
-
The guy in the Big Beat sweater, that's me.
It's 1966 again, and once more I'm down by
Tompkins Square; kissing four-eyed angels
named Margaita and Rosalita. They've got
a nasty brother they call Pabolito, but he's
away in the Vietnam War. Lucky me.
-
I pick up the loaded dice.
Somehow (beats the hell out
of both them AND me)
I roll a twenty-three.
Down at Tompkins
Square Park, just
them and me.

No comments: