Wednesday, June 15, 2011

3145. NIAGARA

NIAGARA
(search results for Niagara Falls)

I'm sitting at the rainbow window watching
water fall down - colored mist and white sky
flying high, Good God! And here come a
Troupermania Trio singing on : some putrid
folk songs last heard in 1964 - 'freight train,
freight train, goin' so fast...' Old Libba Cotten
herself couldn't have sung it no worse, and
that would be 1905 'til now. I'm sitting at
the rainbow window just wanting to smile -
freight train, freight train, to 500 miles.
-
The mist fogs gladly the gadfly glass -
sends shimmers and ripples along, all things
glazed, it seems, with something; akin, that is
to this : folk songs in an old time lodge and,
below, the Maid of the Mist! Please don't tell
what train I'm on, so they won't know I'm gone.
-
Freight train, freight train, goin' so fast,
how did I come to this at last?

No comments: