Monday, May 9, 2011

3079. LYING DOWN BESIDE STILL WATERS

LYING DOWN
BESIDE STILL WATERS

They'd never told me the ending hadn't been made up
yet; flowers in a vase, the mantelpiece dripping with
fragrant honey, some sort of biblical reprise like
things I'd heard twice over already. That jet above,
slicing a piece through the sky like a labor of love,
it made me think of seven hundred other things
I'd only wished to do. Sitting beneath the maple
tree, the outer banks, that field, and you. I never
shaded a word before. Nor was I ever at a loss for.
-
The old key fob, I found it in the hedgerow, looking
as if it had been there for twenty years. Cracked
and weathered, the brown packet held a few keys
and - yet oddly alive - someone's old photo of a
girl. No one I'd ever known (of course not) but
instantly recognizable as a creature of comfort,
a horse to exchange for, a tie-dyed figment of
another day : all admiration, gentility and grace.
-
Well, perhaps. One takes one's comfort where
it's found, after all, and only goes on from there.
Anyway, all this Lord is my Shepherd business, it
was always peripheral to me. Never had a sheep,
never had a lea, and took my rest wherever
I happened to be. Every item in this dream
has always been in fog (and no one ever
told me what the ending would be).

No comments: