Tuesday, October 27, 2009

590. CONTALDO

CONTALDO
I slaked my thirst at Marigold's, where the
waters parted the sea; hybrid flowers wilting
on the wall-shelf, an abused piano calling to me.
I sat down to play and some angels brought a
harp. Nothing too great, but it did for a start.
-
In an instant, some hoodlum came through,
asking for money and taking it too. His name
was Contaldo, and he spoke with a leer -
'gimme any shit, and I'll take it from here.'
I think he was pointing to my chest.
-
The only assumption I could make was that
he had a gun - otherwise why walk into a
place like this, unless you're really dumb.
Oh well, here we go again. I gave him my
fifteen dollars. He wanted to hear 'Happy
Days Are Here Again.'
-
I told him I didn't know it; that was good
enough for him. He said it didn't matter
anyway since he didn't know the words.
We both got up to leave, together. He let
me exit and I let him go. Some guy was
eating his lunch on a small table outside.
-
We waved to him as we passed,
keeping a steady stride.

No comments: