Sunday, October 25, 2009

584. OMINOUS

OMINOUS
I put your hand in my boot and we felt the lining:
it was made of dimes and quarters shining. Then
you bent down to show me your cloak. I
laughed, thinking it was some sort of joke.
Between the two of us, only a small sense
of change was made; a jacket of glass,
to wear in the shade.
-
The idea was to wear down each other like the
water which wears down a rock on the
simple-stream aspect of repeated abrasion.
But not really abrasion - because in 'human'
terms we find it difficult to understand
that 'WATER ABRADES' as some
science tome would say. 'Abrade'
means 'wears things away.'
-
Some little kid with a red toy engine
was sparkling by off in the hedgerow.
He made sounds like a siren, pushing
dirt and pebbles. I wondered, if the
land caught fire right then, even with
his toy fire truck, would he know
just what to do. 'Innate' means
'inborn, as if natural.'
-
Yes, well,
I guess so.

No comments: