Friday, May 22, 2009

389. AT DR. BERNARDO'S

AT DR. BERNARDO'S
By a wayward stream, by a break in my life
by a chance encounter, by any of those means
could I have been saved. I was as lonely as
could be, and as broken as a twig; trampled,
crushed. It all came to no meaning.
-
I'd been abandoned by everyone and left alone:
everyday, a total quiet. The brocade of ill intention
and the silk of misapprehension - couch fabrics
in my less-than-comfortable mind. With a
twitch of my very own, I set the land to scowling.
-
'Well Doctor, you've asked me to tell you everything,
to tell you how I feel. I'd rather be walking these streets
than stuck in here with you. One crazed soul on the
sidewalk is worth ten in a place like this.'
-
No one either agreed or disagreed with me.
It'd been that way for so long I'd lost memory
of any other way. Why bother for anything more?
I'd grown used to living on little. My secular
vow of poverty was as real as anything else.

No comments: