Wednesday, May 20, 2009

385. A SCIENCE OF WISHFUL THINKING

A SCIENCE OF
WISHFUL THINKING
You have made a science of wishful thinking - the
task you've never yet interrupted. The woeful things,
all disappeared, shall never come again: the Sun
will always shine and the rain will be warm and gentle.
The bluest of skies will prevail. The jailmaster shall
have no keys, and doors will never lock.
-
And I shall never forget your face, nor you mine.
Any misdeed will leave no trace. The joyful minions,
a hundred deep, shall passively wait in line - for only
'goodness and mercy shall follow me for the rest of
my days.' You'd made that up one day, saying it was
your very own. I watched your hair and your hands
as you talked. Yes, truly, you'd made a science of
wishful thinking; an aspiration I could never meet
(and a trail I could never walk).

No comments: