Wednesday, May 20, 2009

387. SECRETS FOR ALGERNON

SECRETS FOR ALGERNON
They flew in under the radar - these tiny,
nascent humanoid creatures - and as soon
as they grew eyes and lungs, they manipulated
a certain form of consciousness to see reality
their way alone. We became their clouds and
their shadows, as they became our dream-comforts
and ideas. It's been said that more than one reality
inhabits the human mind - divided attentions, levels
of energy, palatial moments squeezed into small
spaces. I can believe all that - well, let me re-phrase -
I'd 'like' to believe all that, if only I had some proof...
of things which might have been, of monsters walking
on land, of the great gyrating forms of Gods at work
perfecting things. That's never to be, so I'll then never see.
Nonetheless, I'll be your friend, some guide-companion,
pal or buddy. We can meet as often as can be - exchange
words, have a drink, understand each other in ways only
insiders can. It can all be unsaid. Remain in darkness,
while seeking the light.

No comments: