Tuesday, May 19, 2009

384. THE GLITTERATI OF A LOVER'S EYES

THE GLITTERATI OF
A LOVER'S EYES
All over the great lawn the sparrows were singing.
Like the terms of some Russian novel, very
complicated handshakes and banners now
covered the field. Outside of the circle,
just then, I saw her approaching : bold blue eyes
and a shawl of mirth and humor. Cantilevered
shoes with the strap that wrapped the calf.
It should have all been photographed discreetly.
She was carrying coffee, the little red
container held gently in her hands.
Nothing else stirred as I watched.
-
Her situation was most intense :
three guys wanting her attentions,
plus a lover and a boyfriend both in tow.
I could only imagine how she managed all this.
Her magic hands? Her hugs? Her kiss?
Not that it mattered a whit to me. I was
still lost on that Sunday field from long
ago, watching this as it all transpired,
once before; another time, another
place, and me.

No comments: