Thursday, September 12, 2013

4616. THE POWER AND THE GLORY


THE POWER AND THE GLORY
With the wisdom of Solomon long over the fence, gone like
a willow-the-wisp, we find ourselves standing around - holding
foul books of empty pages and talking about movies and art.
My mind droops at each soliloquy you try. Uttering anything
new will only hurt me more. Please stop now.
-
I've drilled a hole through my bible, and now use it as a
sight-glass - something s
teady to look through, measuring all
distances and angles - yet all I can see is the past. It
seems nothing any longer runs forward. What am I to do?
-
You sit down with me at the screaming table; where the napkins
are a'flame and each knife and fork is a small torch. To pretend
this isn't happening won't work - like children gleeful at a
horror-house carnival, we roar with both terror and delight.
Old cars are coming through the wall; women in sorry dresses
are walking past the light and men with hammers are watching.
-
Yes, yes, the power and the glory together.
Men with hammers are watching.
Uttering anything new will only
hurt me more. Please stop now.

No comments: