Friday, July 10, 2009

463. I TINKERED WITH THE FORMULA

I TINKERED WITH
THE FORMULA

'I'd really like to break your head in two.'
Things like that disconcert old people, you know.
It's difficult, under the cover of living,
to tolerate force and remonstrance - especially
when every living moment can seem as if
it's your last. Last days upon the lordly Earth.
Final moments in the anteroom of whatever.
Hearing things, words and conversations, thrown
about carelessly, sometimes becomes rather
strange. The other morning I heard some
old coot saying 'I am still the full custodian
of my own rights.' And then, right after that,
one girl was telling another 'so here I am,
riding in the car with Pinocchio! Something
kept getting bigger, and it wasn't his nose!'
I guess she could have said 'but it wasn't his
nose' (instead of 'and'), but she didn't.

No comments: