Saturday, July 4, 2009

458. ANY GREAT RETURNS

ANY GREAT RETURNS
'We have to end the factotum and stop the
assault. I use lots of names anyway: one week
I'm Chloe Yarmulke and another maybe I'm
Celeste Murphy. Who matters, and who cares?'
With that, she heaved a fence around her shoulders
and walked off down the lane. I was certainly taken
by surprise by this one : a simple laundromat girl
doing someone else's laundry, or some coal-miner's
daughter (she'd said) seeking terms for a major
settlement - emphysema, black-lung, pleurisy
or something running in her family, but she'd been
thinking she could successfully blame the coal companies
for it and win some big money. I told her I really
wasn't that sure of anything and that my specialty
of late was complete Absurdity - and that it
really didn't bring forth any great returns.

No comments: