Monday, April 27, 2009

343. I DON'T UNDERSTAND

I DON'T UNDERSTAND
I had a dream, wherein I gave you an
ultimatum - something at once both bold
and forbidding, as well as 'too good to be true.'
Which was your quote exactly, as it turned out.
You took me up on this curious offer. I was
to outlast you, but whichever one of us was to
die first was supposed to contact the other.
-
In even the most simple of ways - flicking a
light switch on and off, flipping a book or two
down from the shelves, turning a radio off
or on, as it may be.
-
But this ? this I never expected -
dirty socks in the cold refrigerator in
which (I am now certain) the light stays
always on (is that you too?), a milky bowl
of corn flakes, wilted, atop the warm TV,
a salt shaker filled with...sand? What's going
on here, (I don't understand)?

No comments: