Friday, April 24, 2009

339. KNOWLEDGE AND WISDOM AND GRACE

KNOWLEDGE AND
WISDOM AND GRACE
And so a crazy professor in a well-worn suit
comes up and says 'it's all about over now. I do
nothing, and I do it for love.' He sits down on the
one chair empty and orders another round. Coffee.
-
She looks over - this wonderful woman I know -
and says, over her shoulder, 'the only oxymoron
is you.' He turns about and smiles. They had been
high-school sweethearts, but had parted in pain.
-
That was all years before, I'd been told.
He now did nothing but play checkers or
dice for money, and lecture on Elizabethan art.
She stayed home in her own place, sending out
manuscripts one after the other, to sources I'd
never really heard of. The Magnificent Bolster
Review. The Pequod Inquest Poetry Journal.
The Quarterly Chapbook of Masterful Art.
-
Eventually, it always seems, everything changes
and we all go our separate ways --
like some crazy professor
in a well-worn suit.

No comments: