Thursday, September 10, 2009

530. DELIVERENCE

DELIVERENCE
What hands have grabbed the sky tonight?
I walk in the dark where it used to be light.
-
Xavier and Quentin, whatever the names,
they each bequeath me something -
starry and bright, glowing and round.
High overhead, swirling millions of stars
and planets, as testaments to what should
be. Dark, deep sky. Heavens open high.
-
There was a time I entered Paradise alone -
walking hunched, heavily burdened and
sad. I sat down where I could and watched -
endless, squirming people realizing, suddenly
they were free - every assumption and attribution
they'd once given to the world was now gone.
-
It didn't last; it couldn't.
Now, I looked forward to
seeing a morning light I'm
rather more familiar with -
a man with a rake, seeding
old grass, putting down sod
where only brown dirt used to be.
-
What hands have grabbed the sky tonight?
I walk in the dark where it used to be light.

No comments: