Saturday, June 13, 2009

424. THE GATEKEEPERS OF CONTENT

THE GATEKEEPERS
OF CONTENT
'Brothers and Attached'
Sometimes I get tired of the aggressive spirit -
the flagpole flying a banner stretched to desperation
with the wind, the little mill town too proud of itself
and its one horse and carriage endlessly circling its
touristy streets. I think, in fact, mostly of nothing but
polar opposites : the places I'd like to NEVER be, the
tired scenes I've missed, the trivial art-show on those
paper-thin streets. Just today, cashing a check in
this paltry small town, the teller asked me 'How would
you like your cash?' I usually answer 'tens will be fine',
but today I said 'in an endless stream, thank you.'
She smiled at me, at first quizzically, then with
a broad and very contagious grin.

No comments: