Monday, November 24, 2008

103. BROKE BEFORE I STARTED

BROKE BEFORE I STARTED
'I was there yesterday when they were
handing out pennies and sending out
leeches to cure the infirm. Yes, yes, I
really was. The black squirrel I saw was
hanging upside down on the big tree-trunk,
watching the scene from ten feet up. People
passed, thinking of course nothing of it :
one can't react to what one doesn't see.'
The man speaking had his head in a
device which was supposed to amplify his
expounded thoughts. All it did for me, it seemed,
was to garble his already intensely stupid words.
A motorcar passed on the left - the guy inside was
wearing a guardsman's hat and a short haircut,
the kind you see in military magazines. Nothing
made much sense. Girls passed, tall and big.
Nothing I'd work on, but girls nonetheless.
If I had a dime for every thought that led
me astray, I mused to myself, I'd be,
most certainly, broke before I started.

No comments: