Sunday, September 28, 2008

3. SHOSTAKOVICH

SHOSTAKOVICH
It as said in passing : 'I never sought doubleness' -
yet, we live with duality, for this is a life of two things:
for every darkness, light; for every sorrow, a requisite joy.
Or is it not that way? We live this life, alone, as one
unbroken aberration - comforted as we are by what we choose;
the flesh, the mind the color, the darkness, the win, the lose.
I heard the shimmering music on a Tuesday noon.
Sitting down with a passion, I listened intently,
singular in my search for something between the notes,
astride the lines; as dead of hope as a man would be
about to die for something he'd not even done.
'When I tried to analyse the reason for the
devastating impression of the Fifth Symphony
made on me, I came to the conclusion (alone)
that its musical qualities, no matter how great,
were by themselves not enough to create that effect.'
A hand extended lifted me up. No indignation at pressure,
I went with the flow - note and quality, shadow and show.
I first heard the music on a Tuesday noon.

No comments: