Thursday, December 4, 2008

118. LONG IMAGE/GREAT DISTANCE

LONG IMAGE / GREAT DISTANCE
...( for everything else, the torch)...

-
Like the wind that was howling
and the noise which was fierce,
I am writhing with the sunlight as
it ripens the horizon - long image,
great distance.
-
These are not meaningless moments,
though I hedge for any great importance.
I am stuck on earth and sullied by its
disrepute - yet now it is my place and I must
stay and my works must stay and all that I will
do is for it alone. Its people, marred now by both
indifference and indiscretion, matter little.
-
The great thought must live.
The raging indifference must disppear.
Its adherents must die; be they slain or merely
withered by another force. We can calculate
the God-like odds which perservere.
We can preserve the good and the modest.
For everything else - the torch.

No comments: