Monday, July 10, 2017

9726. IN THE ENCLAVE

IN THE ENCLAVE
The soldiers came by to tell me I was dead.
I knew they were just messing with me, but
I played along and began to weep. It did the
trick, and they soon were gone. Lots of
things happen like that, especially here  -  
this place is called Sand Fault. And that's
what it is; a depression in the already soft
and sinking sand earth, where nothing 
much holds and all disappears. It's all
just a matter of time  -  if something is
here for your whole lifetime, you think
it's forever. But the day after you're gone
it, too, could disappear. Then what are
the others to think? 
-
The fisherman here go down by the water
under the bridge, to fish. That's what they
want people to think anyway; I think they
really just ogle the girls passing on the
bridge overhead.

No comments: